|In 1924 a competition to design a new kiosk was organised
and several leading architects were invited to submit designs. Models
were placed on view behind the National Gallery and selection was made
by the Fine Arts Commission. The winner was a design by Sir Giles
Gilbert Scott (1880 to 1960) and, after a slight modification to the door and change of
material from mild steel to cast iron, it was adopted by the Post Office
and designated the Kiosk No. 2, or K2 for short.
Some important improvements to the door mechanism and window arrangement were contained in the kiosk. The glass was deliberately made into small panels so that breakages could be repaired with a minimum of renewal. There was also a ventilation system which worked through perforations in the dome. Because of its cast iron construction it weighed approximately 1.5 tons and had more interior space than its predecessor. The most distinctive feature was undoubtedly the bright red colour scheme. The kiosk's introduction in 1927 was mainly confined to London and some large provincial towns and proved to be very successful. It was eventually made obsolete in June 1936, although a number continue to be found in London today and very few in other large cities. A number have been designated as Grade II listed buildings and will continue to be preserved.
Gilbert Scott's original model of what was to become the K2 still stands outside the National Gallery, at first glance identical to its progeny although it is in fact different in some details, principally in its wooden construction.
Cast iron structure (1926) (Sir G G Scott).
Taken from BT archives
Original design plans by Gilbert Scott
Painting in progress
Picture taken in 1936 showing the Jubilee back board arrangement
Last revised: June 09, 2018