|In 1929 the Kiosk No. 3 was introduced, again
designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. This kiosk was intended for sites
of special architectural importance, scenic localities and for general
outdoor use in rural and urban areas. Only a few were installed in
In August 1930 it was decided to adopt the No. 3 as standard for rural areas once the stock of No. 1' s had been exhausted.
The actual design was very similar to the No. 2 kiosk but was made largely from concrete instead of cast iron. Only the window frames were painted red, with the rest of the kiosk being painted a stony grey colour.
Because concrete was a rather poor material for telephone box construction this was the last standard box to employ its use.
Concrete structure with domed roof (1929) (Sir G G Scott).
Coloured inside and outside treated with two coats of cream Snowcem or one coat of stipple paint to window frame and its exterior surround painted in Red 539.
The above is taken from BT archives
Rodney Marshall comments
The earlier references to Stone, indicating a sort of grey colour, are misleading. The 1971 Non Technical Maintenance Manual R1 states Snowcem Cream and is the colour everyone goes for as it obviously looks nice.
The answer is in a drawing 'Diagram E.C. 1347' of the earliest version the Mk234 where it states Clipsham Stone as the colour. Clipsham Stone is a light cream limestone building stone quarried in Rutland and Lincolnshire to this day.
Kiosk No. 3 containing a Telephone No. 11 and Coin Collecting Box No. 7
Last revised: March 02, 2018