TELEPHONE No. 121
Wooden wall telephone used on CB and Auto systems. Made from around 1924 and can be found in the 1928 GPO Rate Book. All models are fitted with a Receiver Bell No. 1A and a Coil, Induction No. 14.
Early CB versions had a notice frame fitted under the transmitter (shown to the right) whereas later CB telephones had a dummy dial cover instead of the frame. The dial mounting is a Mounting Dial Automatic No. 7.
Many of these telephones were converted Bellset No.1's. On the rear of the phone one may well find the original Bellset No.1 crossed out and TELE 121 stamped nearby.
Some were converted by the BPO factories into Telephone No. 251, which are identifiable as they have a handset.
Similar to the Telephone No. 101 but with a dial fitted below the transmitter. Because this telephone is sought after by collectors, it is quite difficult to find. A number of reproduction instruments have been seen, generally made up from Bellsets No. 1 or from railway omnibus circuit telephones. Many of these telephones were later converted by the GPO into the Telephone No. 221.
Telephone No. 121B was supplied with a Dial, Auto No. 10BA for use in the Brighton Area.
Telephone No. 121L was in general use on Automatic exchanges in large areas and fitted with a Dial No. 10LA and a Label No. 43C.
Telephone No. 121S was supplied with a Dial, Auto No. 10FS and used on Siemens systems in Grimsby, Hurley, Ramsey, Southampton and Stockport areas (supersedes Telephone No. 77).
Telephone No. 121W was supplied with a Dial, Auto No. 10FW and used on S.T. & C's exchanges at Darlington and Dudley (supersedes Telephone No. 65).
Telephone No. 121 Mark 2 was fitted with the "improved" Coil Induction No. 18.
The Australian Post Office also used the same set - their Telephone No. 137AW and was identical to the Telephone No. 121 Mk 1.
Circuit diagram N221 (original diagram is AT 1728).
Last revised: January 31, 2016