|Use||Stores Vehicle at Studd St, London|
|Registration Number||DU 1205|
|Fleet Number||Stores 1|
|Date of picture||1910|
This is a 1907 Maudslay 50cwt (2.5tonnes) lorry and was the first load carrying vehicle purchased by the GPO for the Stores Department. It was withdrawn in 1926 having covered 300,000 miles in 19 years. That equates to nearly 16,000 miles per year, a remarkable figure given the fact that the vehicle could just manage about 15mph. It was fitted with solid tyres and an open chain drive to the rear axle.
|BACK||Home page||BT/GPO Telephones||A - Z Index||Vehicles Home Page||Quick Find||All Telephone Systems|