|Local underground cabling can be in different forms:-
- Cables can be fed to a local joint box and then cables to customers
premises radiate from this box.
- For multiple line customers the cable would go directly to the
premises and terminate inside.
- A cable is run along the front of premises and pairs of wires picked
out and then joined to cables which feed each premise - in this case
armoured cable would probably be used.
- Cables are joined in a Joint Post.
- Fibre optic cable feed to each premise from a street cabinet (modern
way of connection).
The 1970's way to feed underground to the premises is shown below:-
This is a mock up but shows a small joint box with the
big feed in and smaller feeds away.
A cast iron cover would be placed on top.
A Joint Post. The cables are terminated in the
post and the cover locked in position.