EARLY UK TELEPHONES
Click on some of the pictures for more information
The Gower-Bell Telephone Company was formed in 1880. The Gower-Bell telephone (a combination of a Gower receiver and a Gower transmitter) had first been manufactured by Messrs Scott and Wollaston with a licence issued to them from The Telephone Company Ltd in 1879. Gower ultimately acquired the licence and formed the company, which supplied the Post Office with 20,000 telephones. The company was eventually taken over by the Consolidated Telephone Construction and Maintenance Company who continued to supply the GPO with this instrument.
This telephone replaced the Blakey and Emmott instrument (See below).
The telephone below is using a "pencil" type transmitter.
Horse Collar Telephone
This telephone was supplied by the Post Office for secret conversation use.
Crossley desk telephone
This was the first telephone used by the Post Office. Made by Blakey and Emmott and supplied in 1881.
The receiver hangs on a hook on the front of this telephone and activates the telephone.
This is how you get the saying "go off hook" or "go on hook".
Ader Telephone (1988)
This Ader telephone was connected to a two way switching unit.
As well as the telephone, the backboard contains a key switch, indicator unit and signalling bell.
This was installed in Blenheim Palace in the UK.
United Telephone Company telephone with Blake transmitter (1880)
Sometimes called "The Marriage" as it was one of the first telephones containing a carbon transmitter with an electromagnetic receiver.
Probably the first pedestal telephone!
Telephone with Johnson Transmitter
Made by the Edison Company this telephone used their Chalk Cylinder Receiver (1879).
Last revised: November 08, 2023