Public Coin Box using
This Coin Collecting box was introduced just as the National Telephone company merged with the GPO in 1912. The GPO modified the box slightly and it finally became the Box, Coin Collecting No. 1. These Coin Boxes were made by L. M. Ericsson and non-GPO boxes would have had the Ericsson trade mark on the front. The Ericsson Catalogue of 1902 advise that these were product number 441.
The BCC No. 1A is used where a large cash compartment is required. This unit comes with fixing screws, a Baseboard No. 5 and a Box, Cash No. 1A. Secured with a Key, Lock A.
The box is made of tin plate box and painted black. This was a flimsy box and can be forced open easily, so armoured cash boxes were installed positioned under the case.
Any ordinary telephone could be connected to these coin boxes.
The mechanism accepts 1d coins and when they were deposited, on the
instruction of the telephone operator, and the knob turned a buzzer
circuit operated. This allowed the telephone operator to count the
number of coins inserted. A Veeder cyclic meter inside the casing
logged how many coins had passed through to the cash box.
USE OF COIN COLLECTING BOX.
Below the text is the royal crest and below that the words: "GENERAL POST OFFICE" in black, on a gold coloured ornate panel.
Older boxes were marked "POST OFFICE TELEGRAPHS" which
was the original name of the telephone side of the GPO.
After merging with the National telephone Company, the
GPO fitted an enamel overlay on the front of the existing Coin Box No. 1's.
The above picture shows the cash collection box in situ and and another cash box is show above
Last revised: July 28, 2023